Other SportsMcIlroy tells feuding PGA and LIV tours to learn from Northern Ireland...

McIlroy tells feuding PGA and LIV tours to learn from Northern Ireland peace process

Rory McIlroy has called on the PGA Tour and LIV Golf to take inspiration from the Northern Ireland peace process and reach a compromise which allows the sport to thrive again.

A bitter dispute has split the world of golf in two since LIV Golf held its first events in 2022, using the financial power of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund to prise big names away from the PGA.

Last June, the two parties agreed to pursue a merger with a deadline of December 31 for a final agreement to be struck, but that date came and went with no further announcement.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Manchester United: Getafe hope to keep Greenwood
Formula One: Lando Norris says maiden win ‘a long time coming’
IPL 2024: Punjab Kings v Royal Challengers Bengaluru – preview, free bets and offers

The LIV circuit has continued to recruit leading players in recent months, with December’s swoop for two-time major champion Jon Rahm perhaps the biggest coup yet for the breakaway tour.

McIlroy – who has been a staunch critic of LIV – has called on the two parties to use the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which brought peace to his native Northern Ireland, as inspiration.

“I liken it to when Northern Ireland went through the peace process in the ’90s and the Good Friday Agreement. Neither side was happy,” McIlroy said ahead of this week’s Wells Fargo Championship.

“Catholics weren’t happy, Protestants weren’t happy, but it brought peace and then you just sort of learn to live with whatever has been negotiated, right?

“That was in 1998, and 20, 25, 30 years ahead, my generation doesn’t know any different. It’s just this is what it’s always been like, and we’ve never known anything but peace.

“That’s my way of trying to think about it and trying to make both sides see that there could be a compromise here.

“It’s probably not going to feel great for either side, but if it’s a place where the game of golf starts to thrive again and we can all get back together, then I think that’s ultimately a really good thing.”

While McIlroy is keen for a resolution to be found, he will not return to the PGA Tour policy board – which he left in November 2023 – in a bid to directly influence the talks.

“It just got pretty complicated and pretty messy,” McIlroy said of his time on the board. “With the way it happened, it opened up some wounds and scar tissue from things that have happened before.

“I think there was a subset of people on the board who were uncomfortable with me coming back on for some reason. I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.”

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

Measles outbreak warning for Spain holidays as cases double in tourist hotspot

Cases of measles in Alcantarilla, Murcia have doubled since an outbreak was declared earlier this month, prompting a warning for families travelling to the...

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

DWP bank holiday benefit payment changes affecting claimants next week

Affected claimants will need to make their money last longer due to the upcoming bank holiday date Payments due on May 25 will be affected(Image:...

Measles outbreak warning for Spain holidays as cases double in tourist hotspot

Cases of measles in Alcantarilla, Murcia have doubled since an outbreak was declared earlier this month, prompting a warning for families travelling to the...

Author Reed Lovac publishes new collection of dark fiction short stories

Established author Reed Lovac has released a new book comprising four short stories centred around an ancient item of clothing, exploring themes drawn from...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...