NewsOctober half term fun rolled out by Manchester Council

October half term fun rolled out by Manchester Council

School holidays can be a tough time for families struggling to buy food in the city.

But Manchester Council has launched an initiative for the October half-term to ensure that every child is adequately nourished even though school is not in session.

Kids will be offered a variety of enjoyable activities as well as nutritious meals.

The council has allocated additional funds beyond the government’s provision for support outside of term time.

Engaging activities

From engaging in sports activities to exploring creative arts and crafts, an array of cost-free options will be available to children aged 5 to 15 who receive free school meals. These activities are made possible through the joint efforts of the Council and MCRactive.

This effort follows the success of the Summer 2023 Holiday and Food (HAF) program, which catered to more than 15,000 children in over 3,000 sessions.

Notably, 94% of these participants received free school meals during regular terms. Compared to the previous year, the engagement during the summer holiday program increased by 20%, with a staggering 97,222 individual visits.

Furthermore, the 2023 summer holiday initiative extended its support to 971 children with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND), enabling them to participate in enjoyable holiday activities at no cost.

Additionally, starting from October 31, the city’s libraries will welcome those in need, offering a warm sanctuary and complimentary hot beverages throughout the chilly months. The success of last year’s warm banks, which distributed over 25,000 hot drinks during the four-month period, underscores the significance of this supportive program.

More support

Councillor Garry Bridges, said: “Providing an additional net of support for young people in Manchester during the autumn is an incredibly important piece of work we do.

“We know that through the school year the balanced and healthy meals that children get in schools are vital, and that their absence during breaks in the term can be keenly felt.

“Building on our successes from 2022 we now have more than 100 HAF providers working throughout the year to provide the same excellent level of support and care, as well as helping children make some amazing memories with their friends.”

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Makerfield by-election LIVE as Andy Burnham launches campaign and Green candidate dropped over social media posts

Andy Burnham has called for Britain to have a “‘live and let live’ approach to life” when asked about newly-published single-sex spaces guidance.The Greater...

Pep Guardiola to leave Man City LIVE updates and reaction as exit confirmed

Guardiola will miss Manchester, and Manchester will miss Guardiola. Well, the blue half will anyway.As the manager conducted his final pre-match press conference after...

Preston Davey trial LIVE as murder accused teacher breaks down as he speaks about day baby died

Ms Whyte says: ‘Given the findings on Preston’s body, the evidence which John doesn’t dispute is that that must have been by way of...

Buy last-minute Doja Cat tickets for huge Manchester gig this week

Doja Cat has four shows lined up in the UK this week.This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Manchester director’s guide to the first 7 days after receiving a winding-up petition

For Manchester company directors facing a winding-up petition for the first time, few documents carry greater legal and commercial significance. Yet despite the seriousness...

Makerfield by-election LIVE as Starmer says he WILL support Burnham campaign – updates

Sir Keir Starmer has said he will be out campaigning to support Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election, despite looming speculation of a leadership...

Disconnected Systems Are Slowing UK SMEs Down, Says N Six Studios

Digital solutions provider N Six Studios has warned that many UK businesses are operating with inefficient systems and workflows that create unnecessary complexity, poor...

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

More News

Funeral celebrant register introduced amid concerns over industry standards

A newly launched national register of approved funeral celebrants and officiants aims to improve transparency and professionalism within the funeral sector, where concerns over...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Manchester vet initiative launches offering free dog dental and breathing checks to tackle hidden illnesses

GoVets, Manchester’s leading independent veterinary practice, has announced a new community health initiative offering Free Full Dental Care and BOAS (Breathing) Checks for dogs. The initiative...