ConstructionHomeowner who touted planning law must rip down extension

Homeowner who touted planning law must rip down extension

An illegal extension must be torn down after a homeowner was brought before a District Judge following a three-year refusal to comply with the law.
In May 2021, Manchester Council’s planning enforcement team became aware of a potentially illegal two-storey extension being built onto a property on Birchfields Road, Manchester.

On further investigation officers discovered that the owner of the property – Michelle Naimah Sharif (56) – had not obtained any planning permission for this development, and was ordered to cease construction immediately.

However, works continued into the summer leading to the council issuing a Planning Enforcement Notice, ordering that the works be demolished. An option was included that would allow a single-storey extension to be built, in line with previously granted planning permission.

The council rejected a subsequent application for the retention of the development, which was then appealed by the homeowner. This appeal, however, was dismissed by the planning inspector in February 2022.

In their notes, the inspector said the unauthorised development “…is out of keeping and it is poorly related to the rear [of the property]. It is visually obtrusive and discordant and it is not sympathetic to its host or the surrounding built environment. It does not contribute positively to a strong sense of place and it detracts from the overall quality of the townscape.”

The inspector also noted harm caused to the living conditions of neighbours because of the works.

Despite this extensive engagement and the ruling of the planning inspector, the owners of the property still refused to comply with the Planning Enforcement Notice, resulting in the council taking legal action.

At a hearing held at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, Sharif pleaded guilty to an offence under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

The sitting district judge fined Sharif £5,000 and ordered them to pay a victim surcharge of £2,000. They were also ordered to pay Manchester City Council £12,745 in respect to legal and investigatory costs.

The requirement that the extension must be demolished is still in place.

Councillor Gavin White said: “This has been a long-running saga caused by the inexplicable refusal of this homeowner to comply with a legal order.

“Planning law is incredibly important and is put in place to protect the rights of residents as well as preserve the amenity of communities which could be negatively impacted by a rogue development. In this case, the council’s position was fully vindicated by the planning inspector and then the district judge.

“We will continue to ensure this extension is demolished and that this case is finally resolved.”

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Pep Guardiola to leave Man City LIVE updates and reaction as exit confirmed

Guardiola will miss Manchester, and Manchester will miss Guardiola. Well, the blue half will anyway.As the manager conducted his final pre-match press conference after...

Preston Davey trial LIVE as murder accused teacher breaks down as he speaks about day baby died

Ms Whyte says: ‘Given the findings on Preston’s body, the evidence which John doesn’t dispute is that that must have been by way of...

Buy last-minute Doja Cat tickets for huge Manchester gig this week

Doja Cat has four shows lined up in the UK this week.This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales...

Plans for a battery energy storage plant beside A6 next to Georgian House hotel

Applicant AMP Clean Energy said 'suitable land for such developments is not easy to find'Plans have been submitted to place battery energy storage equipment...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

More families are being drawn into inheritance tax – and planning ahead can have a major impact

Inheritance tax receipts in the UK have reached record levels, according to the latest figures from HMRC. For financial advisers across the North West,...

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...

Plans for a battery energy storage plant beside A6 next to Georgian House hotel

Applicant AMP Clean Energy said 'suitable land for such developments is not easy to find'Plans have been submitted to place battery energy storage equipment...

'We built a railway in our garden – our house is now unsellable or worth triple'

Dave Walker, 54, and his wife Angela, 55, built the 400m track by hand over seven yearsDave said they hoped to attract other rail...

More News

5 Modern Use Cases for Architectural Woven Wire

Woven wire has been a staple of industrial manufacturing for decades. But architects and interior designers have increasingly turned to it as a serious...

Thousands still dying from asbestos exposure decades after UK ban, research warns

More than 25 years after asbestos was banned in the UK, the material continues to cause around 5,000 deaths annually, according to new findings...

Rising Fuel Costs Expose the £10,000 Mistake in Used Truck Buying

UK truck buyers are being warned about a common but costly mistake when purchasing used vehicles, one that industry experts say can lead to...