Other SportsNick Kyrgios slams retirement talk as 'absolute nonsense'

Nick Kyrgios slams retirement talk as ‘absolute nonsense’

Nick Kyrgios has described reports that he is considering retirement as “absolute nonsense”, just hours after appearing to suggest he was approaching the end of his tennis career.

Kyrgios was forced to withdraw from the 2023 edition of the Australian Open due to a knee injury, which required surgery and also caused him to miss the rest of last year’s majors.

The 2022 Wimbledon runner-up was also unable to appear at his home grand slam this month and has instead been commentating on the event for ESPN and Eurosport.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Formula 1: AlphaTauri rebrands as Visa Cash App RB ahead of new season
Neville: Berrada arrival the start of ‘serious’ Manchester United project
India captain Sharma not interested in ‘Bazball’ talk

Writing in a column which appeared in The Sydney Morning Herald on Wednesday, Kyrgios said he was approaching the end of his time in tennis and was excited about his future outside the sport.

“I sat down with my agent, Stuart Duguid, a couple of days ago to talk about my future. The reality is, there is a part of me that knows my time in the sport may be over, and I’m okay with that,” Kyrgios said.

“It’s a conversation that needed to be had. I’m at a crossroads in my career and have reached a point where life after tennis is a prospect that excites me.

“I could travel the world making really good money commentating on the sport, doing things like I am now with my talk show, interviewing guys like Gordon Ramsay and Mike Tyson.

“Other players’ entire world revolves around playing tennis, and that’s never been me.”

However, just hours after those comments surfaced, Kyrgios shot down suggestions that his career was over in a video posted to his Instagram story.

“I have woken up today and realised there are some articles going around, saying that I am retired and that I’m not going to play anymore,” the 28-year-old said. “I just want to just clear it up, it’s absolute nonsense.

“Yes, the last year has been tough with injuries, my knee, my wrist… but I’m hungry as ever, constantly rehabbing in the gym.

“Part of the reason why I am commentating and doing all these things around the AO is to still feel that fire and still be a part of it. I still wanted to let everyone know I’m coming back, stay tuned, but there’s plenty left in the tank. Don’t stress.”

In the original column, Kyrgios did rule out an appearance at the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris, saying he no longer had any interest in representing Australia following his exclusion from the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro.

“One thing I will guarantee, I won’t be making myself available for the Olympics. I wanted to play for my country… I can’t say that I still have that desire,” Kyrgios wrote.

“Let’s be honest, I haven’t exactly felt like Australia has wanted me to represent it either. I’ve said before, I often feel more at home away from home.

“For them to forbid me from representing my country for behavioural reasons is something that I just can’t forget.”

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Man City star Erling Haaland reacts to Arsenal Premier League title win with classy message

Manchester City saw their reign as Premier League champions come to an end on Tuesday night when they were held by Bournemouth at the...

Man United might never have a better shot at Premier League glory

Manchester United should be rubbing their hands together at the drama unfolding across the Premier League

Casemiro's true thoughts on being replaced by three Man United transfer targets

Casemiro will bid farewell to the Manchester United supporters after his final match away to BrightonHe is joined by Tchouameni, who has been mooted...

Manchester United already have one new starter for next season ahead of transfer window spree

Man Utd will be busy in the summer transfer window but one change in the strongest starting XI is already looking likely for next...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

'We built a railway in our garden – our house is now unsellable or worth triple'

Dave Walker, 54, and his wife Angela, 55, built the 400m track by hand over seven yearsDave said they hoped to attract other rail...

Property Investment Manchester: Why the City Continues to Attract Investors

Manchester’s property market has spent years building a reputation as one of the UK’s strongest regional investment locations. In 2026, that reputation continues to...

Author Reed Lovac publishes new collection of dark fiction short stories

Established author Reed Lovac has released a new book comprising four short stories centred around an ancient item of clothing, exploring themes drawn from...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...