Sir Keir Starmer has said he will be out campaigning to support Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election, despite looming speculation of a leadership contest.
The Prime Minister also sought to draw attention to his Government’s record and away from ‘all the other discussions that are going on’ in apparent reference to the leadership speculation that has dogged his premiership since Labour’s local and devolved elections mauling.
Asked whether he would be out supporting Greater Manchester Mayor Mr Burnham’s campaign for the June 18 contest, Sir Keir responded: “Yes, and I’ve said to the whole Labour movement that I want everybody to be involved in the campaign, whatever other discussions are going on, it’s really important – that’s a straight fight between Labour and Reform.
“It’s about the values that we take into politics, and it’s really important that we all pull together and fight in that by-election, as we will do.”
He added: “I want to be part of that, of course I do, and I want everybody to be part of that, but also by being clear about the steps we’ve taken to stabilise the economy, because all of this that we’ve announced today has only been possible because of the steps we took on the budget, the fact that inflation dropped is because of the steps – that didn’t drop out the sky – that’s because of the decisions the Government took. So, we’ve got a very good story to tell.”
Sir Keir was asked by reporters whether he was frustrated by the focus on Mr Burnham and former health secretary Wes Streeting’s ambitions to oust him. It followed a number of calls from Labour MPs for him to go and a slew of resignations.
He said: “There’s been a lot going on in the last two weeks, but what is important for me to draw out is that actually the last week, in terms of what we’ve delivered, is really significant.”