CrimePair found guilty of 35 sexual offences on young boys

Pair found guilty of 35 sexual offences on young boys

Two men have been found guilty of sexually abusing six young boys over two decades.

David Marsh (74) of Northenden, and Anthony Whitehead (72) of Atherton, carried out their depraved crimes in Rochdale and Manchester during the 1980s and 1990s.

The pair were convicted of grooming and sexually abusing the boys, who were aged between nine and 13 when the abuse began.

Greater Manchester Police commended the victims – now grown men – for their bravery in giving “painful and difficult testimony” during a four-week trial at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court.

The victims have been supported throughout the case by the Complex Safeguarding Team and the Child Sexual Exploitation Major Investigation Team.

They were abused for many years as the men took them around Manchester, grooming them with cigarettes, alcohol and cash.

But in 2019, one man confided to a person in authority, that he had been abused as a boy – and a five-year Greater Manchester Police investigation started.

Detectives found that one of the men was dead but that Marsh was still alive – and began to form a picture of a sustained campaign of offending.

Detective constable Andrea Richards, who worked on this case from the start, said: “I want to pay a massive tribute to all the male survivors who have played a pivotal role in bringing these abusers to long-awaited justice.

“It was an incredibly difficult decision for them to go through the process, but by doing so and putting their trust in the team they have ensured that Marsh and Whitehead face spending most of their remaining years behind bars.

“I commend and thank everyone we approached during the investigation, every single one of you deserve to be on your own unique healing journeys.

“I want to make clear, none of the male survivors should feel they have to carry the shame or guilt in this case, it is not theirs to carry. I hope that they all feel that they have finally got some justice.”

The jury was unanimous in finding the men guilty of 35 sex offences.

Sentencing is due on November 27.

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Heywood fire update as smoke seen for miles across Greater Manchester

LIVEUpdated 10 hours agoEmergency services are in attendance this evening21st May18:34 BSTFire at derelict millThe fire service has issued a statement this evening, confirming...

Antony addresses personal heartbreak as Man United flop says 'now it's time'

Former Manchester United forward Antony has been left 'saddened'22:13, 21 May 2026Updated 22:40, 21 May 2026Former Manchester United forward Antony has expressed his sadness...

Manchester director’s guide to the first 7 days after receiving a winding-up petition

For Manchester company directors facing a winding-up petition for the first time, few documents carry greater legal and commercial significance. Yet despite the seriousness...

Century of Science: M&I Materials Celebrates 100 Years of Apiezon Legacy

Manchester-based M&I Materials is celebrating a major milestone in 2026, as its globally recognised Apiezon reaches 100 years of supporting cutting-edge scientific research and...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

SCEND awarded B Corp status in rare achievement for UK 3PL sector

eCommerce fulfilment provider SCEND has become one of the few UK third-party logistics (3PL) companies to receive B Corp Certification from B Lab. The accreditation...

Antony addresses personal heartbreak as Man United flop says 'now it's time'

Former Manchester United forward Antony has been left 'saddened'22:13, 21 May 2026Updated 22:40, 21 May 2026Former Manchester United forward Antony has expressed his sadness...

The Lost Jem by Mia Cannell offers uplifting story of hope through adversity

Author Mia Cannell has published The Lost Jem, a novel exploring themes of self-discovery, resilience and finding hope while navigating the difficulties of modern...

Viral jacket potato phenomenon SpudBros is on its way to the Trafford Centre

The SpudBros tram van is heading to the Trafford CentreSharing a video walking around the Trafford Centre last month, Jacob said: "We get asked...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...