19 C
Manchester
Monday, July 22, 2024
ConstructionNew Old Trafford: On-site start for fully affordable homes

New Old Trafford: On-site start for fully affordable homes

Work has begun to demolish largely derelict buildings to make way for 80 brand new affordable and sustainable apartments by Old Trafford Cricket Ground.

Southway Housing Trust and McGoff Construction Ltd are working to deliver the scheme which is situated opposite Old Trafford Metrolink station and will be made up of one five-storey and two four-storey apartment blocks.

All the homes will be offered on affordable tenures to meet the needs of first-time buyers and other qualifying households.

Two of the three blocks will provide much-needed affordable rent homes. Apartments in the third block will be available for purchase via shared ownership allowing first time buyers to access a brand-new home that would otherwise be out of reach.

All the flats will have their own balcony or access to outdoor space and there will be communal gardens for the enjoyment of residents. Electric car charging points and measures including energy efficient heating and hot water systems will help reduce utility costs for the new apartments and enhance the sustainability of this exciting development.

Joint application

Victor (Old Trafford) Ltd, a joint venture between Victor at MC Construction and the McGoff Group, submitted a joint application for the scheme with Southway Housing Trust, which was approved at Trafford Council’s Planning Committee in June last year.

Greater Manchester Combined Authority has given funding to the project through the Brownfield Housing Fund (BHF) under the government’s Levelling Up programme, and Homes England has provided funding from the Affordable Homes programme.

Representatives from Trafford Council including cllr Tom Ross, Leader, joined senior leaders from Southway Housing Trust, McGoff Group, Victor, Homes England and GMCA on site to mark this first phase of the development, which is a testament to the collaboration and commitment of all.

Mike Purcell, development director at Victor said: “We are delighted to see our regeneration ambitions, which began in 2016, progress to an on-site project due to the hard work and perseverance of the various parties involved. We look forward to seeing these quality and truly affordable homes take shape.”

Dean Johnston, group managing director, McGoff Construction Services said: “It’s great to be joined by the other stakeholders on site today to mark the first phase of this exciting and innovative development.  We are looking forward to getting the construction process underway and delivering these much-needed quality homes for the Trafford community.”

Karen Mitchell, chief executive of Southway Housing Trust, said: “We’re really pleased to be working with partners to bring a site which is largely derelict back into use and to be able to provide affordable homes in an area with excellent transport links. Developing homes in that area within the budget of local people can be really challenging, and we’re delighted we can help meet this need in Trafford’s communities. We will continue to look for more opportunities to work with our partners to provide high quality, sustainable and affordable homes for people in housing need.

Estimated completion for the homes is December 2025.

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

More News