Other SportsBREAKING NEWS: Nadal to return after one year out ahead of Australian...

BREAKING NEWS: Nadal to return after one year out ahead of Australian Open

Rafael Nadal will begin his comeback from injury at the Brisbane International as the 22-time grand slam champion targets January’s Australian Open after almost a year on the sidelines.

Nadal has not played since suffering a hip injury during a surprise third-round defeat to unseeded American Mackenzie McDonald at this year’s edition of the Australian Open.

The Spaniard attempted to recover in time to feature at the French Open, but he was forced to withdraw from that tournament – which he has won a record 14 times – and undergo season-ending surgery on the injury in June.

Nadal’s injury struggles have cast doubt upon his future in tennis, with the 37-year-old saying he would likely call time on his glittering career after the 2024 season.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Malacia blow for Manchester United
Tiger Woods third-last after making eventful comeback in Bahamas
PGA Tour chief Monahan: End of 2023 remains a ‘firm target’ for PIF merger

The ‘King of Clay’ said in May that he was hoping to enjoy a fruitful farewell season on the ATP Tour, saying: “Next year will probably be my last year. That is my idea. If I keep going now, I won’t be able to make it happen.

“I didn’t make the decision, my body made the decision.

“That is my idea but I can’t say 100 per cent it will be like this. My idea is to try to enjoy and say goodbye to all the tournaments that have been important for me.”

Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley has repeatedly talked up Nadal’s chances of featuring at Melbourne Park in recent weeks, and that looks to be a realistic goal after the Spaniard announced he would return at Brisbane in preparation for the first major of 2024.

In a video posted to his social media channels on Friday, Nadal said: “Hello everyone, after a year away from competition, it’s time to come back.

“I will be in Brisbane in the first week of January, I’ll see you there.”

The Brisbane International, part of the 250 series on the ATP Tour, begins on December 31 and runs to January 7, with the Australian Open beginning one week later.

It will be the first edition of the tournament to be held since 2019, having been discontinued as an ATP event for 2020. Previous winners include Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Nick Kyrgios.

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Makerfield by-election LIVE as first poll shows Andy Burnham and Reform in knife-edge race

The Liberal Democrats have announced the party's candidate for the upcoming Makerfield by-election as Stockport councillor Jake Austin.Councillor Austin was born in the constituency...

Jet2 flight from Tenerife in mid-air 'chaos' as pilot suffers medical emergency

A Jet2 flight from Tenerife to Birmingham was forced to divert to Porto after the pilot suffered a suspected heart attack mid-air22:04, 23 May...

Keir Starmer insists 'our plan is working' and says he will 'keep pushing forward'

Sir Keir Starmer plans to remain as Prime Minister, despite calls to quitDespite Sir Keir’s claims of success, both Mr Burnham and Mr Streeting...

'Aggressive' dog trapped elderly lady before attempting to bite police officer

The attending officer was able to control the dog without it causing injury"During this incident, the Belgian Malinois displayed aggressive behaviour towards members of...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Antony addresses personal heartbreak as Man United flop says 'now it's time'

Former Manchester United forward Antony has been left 'saddened'22:13, 21 May 2026Updated 22:40, 21 May 2026Former Manchester United forward Antony has expressed his sadness...

Man United transfer news: Yan Diomande decision, Ederson update, Sandro Tonali latest

Manchester United academy star Malachi Sharpe has confirmed his departure from the club.In a post to Instagram, he said: "After 5 years my time...

DWP bank holiday benefit payment changes affecting claimants next week

Affected claimants will need to make their money last longer due to the upcoming bank holiday date Payments due on May 25 will be affected(Image:...

'We built a railway in our garden – our house is now unsellable or worth triple'

Dave Walker, 54, and his wife Angela, 55, built the 400m track by hand over seven yearsDave said they hoped to attract other rail...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...