13.6 C
Manchester
Sunday, May 26, 2024
Other SportsNadal camp plays down talk of Melbourne return 

Nadal camp plays down talk of Melbourne return 

Rafael Nadal’s spokesperson has played down claims from tournament organisers that the former world number one will play the Australian Open in January.

Nadal has been sidelined since injuring his hip in a second-round match at the Melbourne Park major earlier in the year, undergoing surgery in June. 

Tournament organiser Craig Tiley went on Australian television, proclaiming Nadal would be fit to play in January, but the Nadal camp has moved to dampen speculation.

The player’s representative Benito Perez-Barbadillo told Reuters “there was nothing to announce yet” on the Spaniard’s upcoming schedule. 

He added: “I can confirm to you that Rafa is practising, as everyone saw on his last post on Instagram.

“But there is no date confirmed, scheduled or programmed yet for his comeback.”

Tiley also said home hope Nick Krygios could return in time for the event after a difficult season filled with injuries.

The Australian Open will become a 15-day tournament for the first time in 2024 to reduce the number of late-night finishes at Melbourne Park.

Latest
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

More News