FootballEuro 2024: Gordon hopes versatility a factor as Southgate prepares to name...

Euro 2024: Gordon hopes versatility a factor as Southgate prepares to name England squad

Newcastle United winger Anthony Gordon hopes his versatility might be a major factor working in his favour when Gareth Southgate names his England squad for Euro 2024.

Gordon has enjoyed an impressive first full campaign at St James’ Park, scoring 10 goals and adding eight assists in 30 Premier League appearances as Newcastle chase a top-six finish.

Having helped England win the Under-21 European Championships last year, Gordon was handed his first call-up to the Three Lions’ senior squad in March.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Wolves planning permanent move for Manchester City loanee Doyle, O’Neil confirms
Mourinho suggests Ten Hag given more trust at Manchester United
Andy Cole and John Terry inducted into Premier League Hall of Fame

He started England’s 1-0 friendly defeat to Brazil at Wembley Stadium before coming off the bench in a 2-2 draw against Belgium three days later, heightening speculation that he will go to the Euros.

Speaking to Gary Neville in an appearance on The Overlap, Gordon – who has played on both wings and as a central striker this season – said his versatility might aid his cause.

“Versatility in tournaments is massive,” Gordon said. “The others [Phil Foden, Marcus Rashford and Jack Grealish] can play across the front line or in midfield, but I feel that I’ve done it a lot this season especially in big games, and I think that matters.

“I’ve played out of position in big games and done well, so I think that matters.‌ Playing as a centre-forward or on the right is out of position for me, the left is probably my main position.

“I’ve played number 10 at times, and I’ve proven in big games that no matter where I play, I can still perform, and having that trust from the manager and the players around me, I think is a massive thing.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A POST SHARED BY GARY NEVILLE (@GNEVILLE2)

Following complaints from several coaches, UEFA is set to increase squad sizes for this summer’s tournament from 23 players to 26, with an official announcement expected later this week.

That could further boost Gordon’s hopes of travelling to Germany, and the 23-year-old says he felt at home when first joining up with Southgate’s squad last month.

“I felt so comfortable there, and when I got there I thought, ‘this is my level’,” Gordon said. “You have to earn respect, football is an opinion-based sport and nobody will respect you if you don’t earn it.

“I knew I would do well on the pitch, but off the pitch, I was nervous, but the culture they’ve managed to create is so impressive; me, Kobbie [Mainoo] and Jarrod [Bowen] all said the same thing.”

The deadline for Southgate to name his final squad for the Euros is June 7, though he is due to select a preliminary squad on May 21, ahead of pre-tournament friendlies against Bosnia and Herzegovina and Iceland.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A POST SHARED BY AG10 ✨ (@ANTHONYGORDON)

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Measles outbreak warning for Spain holidays as cases double in tourist hotspot

Cases of measles in Alcantarilla, Murcia have doubled since an outbreak was declared earlier this month, prompting a warning for families travelling to the...

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...

Viral jacket potato phenomenon SpudBros is on its way to the Trafford Centre

The SpudBros tram van is heading to the Trafford CentreSharing a video walking around the Trafford Centre last month, Jacob said: "We get asked...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...

Reform UK backs Doncaster Sheffield Airport reopening as Connectus welcomes momentum

Technology and infrastructure powerhouse Connectus has welcomed fresh political backing for the reopening of Doncaster Sheffield Airport after Reform UK Deputy Leader Richard Tice...

Author Reed Lovac publishes new collection of dark fiction short stories

Established author Reed Lovac has released a new book comprising four short stories centred around an ancient item of clothing, exploring themes drawn from...

Manchester Agency Eight Engines Shortlisted for GMCC Small Business of the Year Award

Manchester-based video marketing agency Eight Engines has been named a finalist for the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce (GMCC) Small Business of the Year...

More News

Manchester United going ‘in good direction’, Ten Hag says despite results

Manchester United's results show the club is going "in a good direction", manager Erik ten Hag has said despite his side's thrashing by Liverpool...

bet365 becomes official global partner of UEFA Champions League

bet365, one of the world’s leading online betting companies, has announced a historic sponsorship agreement, becoming the first official sports betting partner of the...

Manchester United: Getafe hope to keep Greenwood

Getafe president Angel Torres is confident Mason Greenwood will return to the Spanish club on loan next season if Manchester United can’t sell him...