CrimeMan jailed after attacking lone women near Mancunian Way

Man jailed after attacking lone women near Mancunian Way

A man has been jailed for sexually assaulting lone young women near Mancunian Way.

Robert Emmerson (39) of Thirlmere Avenue was found guilty of five counts of sexual assault and seven counts of indecent exposure following a trial at Manchester Crown Court.

A number of sexual assaults were reported to police, between November 2023 and April 2024.

Victims reported that Emmerson exposed himself and committed sexual assaults in the underpass beneath the Mancunian Way, grabbing women from behind in a bear hug before pinning them down and groping them.

After numerous reports of similar incidents, detectives identified a pattern of offending and investigated them as a linked series.

Through an in-depth investigation, hundreds of hours of CCTV were carefully combed through by detectives, and this uncovered an unknown man. This man was seen arriving at the scene after catching the bus from Wythenshawe and seen walking round the city centre after he attacked the women, before catching the bus back to Wythenshawe.

Emmerson’s image was released to the media, and several members of public came forward, suggesting the man was Robert Emmerson. He was arrested on April 22, 2024 at a property in Wythenshawe.

Upon searching the property, a coat was recovered. The same coat that Emmerson was seen in the CCTV footage fleeing the scenes after his offences. Detectives also found that Emmerson had been arrested in 2015 and in his custody image, he wore the same grey coat.

Five victims identified Emmerson in an identity parade. Even though Emmerson pleaded not guilty, he was unanimously convicted by a jury.

Detective constable Tamsyn Muller said: “The investigation team worked tirelessly to get this case to court and diligently worked behind the scenes to gather evidence to create a clear and concise timeline of events to ensure that Emmerson was found guilty. 

“We don’t underestimate the impact that this will have on the survivors of this crime as they move forwards with their lives.

“Emmerson targeted lone women and was so brazen that he attacked them in the daytime, not caring if people passing by could hear or see him committing his crimes.

“I’d like to thank the young women who reported these offences to us, and for their support whilst we were building a case against Emmerson. Their bravery in reporting this and assisting us whilst the case was in court must not be underestimated. Emmerson’s crimes were despicable, and he did this purely for his own gratification and throughout the trial had no remorse for the welfare of the women.

“It is with the victim’s support we are here today. This man is behind bars now and we hope this goes some way in showing that these offences are treated with the utmost seriousness and sensitivity.

“We know that this sentence does not make up for the terror these women faced at the hands of Emmerson, but we hope it goes some way in reassuring members of the public that a dangerous man is off our streets.”

He was jailed yesterday at Manchester Crown Court to four years and six months with a Sexual Harm Prevention Order with restrictions for life.

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Heywood fire update as smoke seen for miles across Greater Manchester

LIVEUpdated 10 hours agoEmergency services are in attendance this evening21st May18:34 BSTFire at derelict millThe fire service has issued a statement this evening, confirming...

Antony addresses personal heartbreak as Man United flop says 'now it's time'

Former Manchester United forward Antony has been left 'saddened'22:13, 21 May 2026Updated 22:40, 21 May 2026Former Manchester United forward Antony has expressed his sadness...

Manchester director’s guide to the first 7 days after receiving a winding-up petition

For Manchester company directors facing a winding-up petition for the first time, few documents carry greater legal and commercial significance. Yet despite the seriousness...

Century of Science: M&I Materials Celebrates 100 Years of Apiezon Legacy

Manchester-based M&I Materials is celebrating a major milestone in 2026, as its globally recognised Apiezon reaches 100 years of supporting cutting-edge scientific research and...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...

Disconnected Systems Are Slowing UK SMEs Down, Says N Six Studios

Digital solutions provider N Six Studios has warned that many UK businesses are operating with inefficient systems and workflows that create unnecessary complexity, poor...

A Life of Transformation: John M Hayes Releases ‘A Quest for Meaning’ Memoir

The author John M Hayes has published his latest book A Quest for Meaning: A Memoir from Pit to Pulpit; from Business to Philanthropy. The...

Why Manchester Businesses Are Reassessing How They Transport Staff and Clients

Owning a vehicle fleet once made sense when running costs were stable and compliance demands were relatively unchanged. In Manchester today, neither holds true. Clean...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...