7.5 C
Manchester
Saturday, February 21, 2026
CrimeRapist who targeted lone women jailed for life

Rapist who targeted lone women jailed for life

Stuart Thomson (pictured) has been jailed after raping lone women in Manchester.

In the early hours of Tuesday, January 31, 2024, a 999 call was made by a victim stating she had been raped at knife point on Mancunian Way in Manchester.

As police attended the scene, they were approached by a second victim, who had also been raped at knife point. Throughout the day, police received two more reports of a rape and an attempted rape at knife point, in the same location.

Manhunt

With extensive witness statements and descriptions of the offender, a manhunt was launched and the offender was identified as Stuart Thomson (33) of Buxton Road, Stockport.

He was found guilty of three counts of rape, attempted rape, sexual assault, three counts of threatening another with a bladed article, and possession of a bladed article following a ten-day trial at Crown Square Crown Court.

Detectives had trawled CCTV to build a picture of his movements in the lead up to the attacks. On several occasions, he was captured on CCTV wearing distinctive items of clothing, including a hoodie with a grey insert on the back, a coat with green lining, a wool hat, and a high vis style t shirt.

At the scene, police also recovered a wool hat, which was mentioned in one of the victim statements, and it was seized for forensics. While at first it came back matching someone who did not match the description of our offender, police went to the address to conduct enquiries. The address was a hostel, and upon attendance, police spotted the offender, wearing the distinctive green jacket that had been identified during the CCTV trawls.

Detective sergeant Jennifer Savazzi said: “It’s clear that Stuart Thomson is a dangerous sexual predator. He forcibly imposed himself upon these women in a violent and callous way with no consideration for the damage he was doing to them.

“I would like to praise our victims and survivors who have shown extraordinary courage throughout and have done all they can to assist the investigation and prosecution, it is their courage which has got us here today. This has been a lengthy and difficult process for them, and I am full of admiration for the courage and tenacity they have shown.

“By not accepting responsibility, Thompson has forced them to relive their pain throughout this trial. The harm offenders like Thomson cause are incalculable, but I hope this result goes some way in reassuring our victims, survivors, and members of the public that a dangerous man is off our streets, and I welcome this sentence today.”

Brutal

Joanne Lovick, senior crown prosecutor for CPS North West, said: “Thomson targeted lone women and lured them to a secluded location where he raped them at knifepoint.

“He showed no remorse for the trauma he inflicted with his brutal crimes, which have left a lasting impact on the three women he attacked.

“Even though Thomson denied his guilt and put the three women through the pain of a trial, the Crown Prosecution Service arranged for each of the victims to give their evidence in the way that was best for them – to minimise the impact of having to relive their ordeal.

“I would like to offer my deepest thanks to the women who have supported the prosecution and helped the CPS and Greater Manchester Police bring Thomson to justice.”

Help is available

Greater Manchester Rape Crisis is a confidential information, support and counselling service run by women for women over 18 who have been raped or sexually abused at any time in their lives. Call on 0161 273 4500 or email [email protected]

Survivors Manchester provides specialist trauma informed support to boys and men in Greater Manchester who have experienced sexual abuse, rape or sexual exploitation. Call 0161 236 2182.

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Soul Kitchen Marks 10 Years with Chester Fundraiser Generating Over £10,000

A celebratory charity ball held to recognise a decade of Soul Kitchen Chester has raised more than £10,000 to support its work with people...

Manchester Conference to Unite Hospitality Leaders for Sector Strategy Talks

Senior figures from across the UK hospitality industry will convene in Manchester this month for a major conference focused on the future direction of...

New 2026 laptop deals from Laptop Outlet focus on price and reliability

Laptop Outlet has introduced a fresh group of cheap laptop deals. The range supports study, home use, and office work. With living costs still tight,...

Tracks AI model from Pixazo brings Hindi and Punjabi song creation into one tool

Pixazo has released Tracks, an AI music model that builds songs in Hindi and Punjabi. The launch took place at the AI Impact Summit...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

New 2026 laptop deals from Laptop Outlet focus on price and reliability

Laptop Outlet has introduced a fresh group of cheap laptop deals. The range supports study, home use, and office work. With living costs still tight,...

5 Essential health and safety tips for UK workplaces

If you want to keep a UK workplace safe and legally compliant right now, you need to focus on five specific pillars which are...

Soul Kitchen Marks 10 Years with Chester Fundraiser Generating Over £10,000

A celebratory charity ball held to recognise a decade of Soul Kitchen Chester has raised more than £10,000 to support its work with people...

How struggling hospitality businesses can pivot into food brand start-ups

Matt Harris’s career journey has had its fair share of pit stops and twists and turns. From race-track engineering to a street-food ambulance to supermarket...

More News

Detective convicted of sexual offences is dismissed

Greater Manchester Police have dismissed detective sergeant Richard Mills and barred him from policing at an Accelerated Misconduct Hearing. Mills was sentenced to 18 months...

Eight years behind bars for man who threw acid at teenager’s face

A man has been jailed after throwing a corrosive substance over a 16-year-old boy during an attack in Stockport. Gilson Martins (23) of Ashton Street,...

33 arrests, 80 traffic offences and £19,000 of illegal vapes seized in Bury

Officers in Bury made a total of 33 arrests on Thursday, for a range of offences including drug supply and burglary as part of...