CrimeMan arrested following attack on nurse at Royal Oldham Hospital

Man arrested following attack on nurse at Royal Oldham Hospital

A 37-year old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, after a nurse was attacked at the Royal Oldham Hospital.

At 11.30pm on Sunday, Greater Manchester Police were called to the A&E department, following reports that a member of the public had attacked a woman in her 50s, with a sharp instrument, which was not a knife.

The victim suffered critical, life-changing injuries and remains in hospital for treatment.

Officers say they are not currently looking for anyone else in connection with this incident, and they do not believe there is a wider threat to the public.

Detective sergeant Craig Roters said: “This is a serious incident which has left a woman in a critical condition. 

“Our thoughts are with her family and colleagues, and we will continue to support them throughout this investigation.

“The local community can expect to see an increase in police presence whilst we carry out enquiries, but they are also there to offer reassurance and answer any questions you may have. We know that news of this nature will come as a shock, and if you have any concerns or anything you would like to share, please speak to them.”

Chief nursing officer at Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust Heather Caudle said: “We are incredibly shocked and saddened by last night’s incident and our focus is on supporting the colleague involved and their family.

“Our thoughts are also with colleagues and patients who were there at the time of the incident and for whom this has been distressing and frightening. We will continue to support Greater Manchester Police with their inquiries. All services at The Royal Oldham Hospital remain open.”

Health secretary Wes Streeting wrote on X: “My thoughts are with the nurse and her loved ones following this horrific attack at The Royal Oldham Hospital.

“Nurses are the backbone of our NHS and should be able to care for patients without fear of violence.

“We’re in touch with the Trust and will update further as we can.”

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

Measles outbreak warning for Spain holidays as cases double in tourist hotspot

Cases of measles in Alcantarilla, Murcia have doubled since an outbreak was declared earlier this month, prompting a warning for families travelling to the...

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Why Manchester Businesses Are Reassessing How They Transport Staff and Clients

Owning a vehicle fleet once made sense when running costs were stable and compliance demands were relatively unchanged. In Manchester today, neither holds true. Clean...

Funeral celebrant register introduced amid concerns over industry standards

A newly launched national register of approved funeral celebrants and officiants aims to improve transparency and professionalism within the funeral sector, where concerns over...

The Lost Jem by Mia Cannell offers uplifting story of hope through adversity

Author Mia Cannell has published The Lost Jem, a novel exploring themes of self-discovery, resilience and finding hope while navigating the difficulties of modern...

Thousands still dying from asbestos exposure decades after UK ban, research warns

More than 25 years after asbestos was banned in the UK, the material continues to cause around 5,000 deaths annually, according to new findings...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...