FootballManchester United going 'in good direction', Ten Hag says despite results

Manchester United going ‘in good direction’, Ten Hag says despite results

Manchester United’s results show the club is going “in a good direction”, manager Erik ten Hag has said despite his side’s thrashing by Liverpool before the international break in their second consecutive defeat.

United’s only points in their first three games have come courtesy of Joshua Zirkzee’s 87th-minute winner in their home opener against Fulham, which was followed by a 2-1 loss at Brighton & Hove Albion and a 3-0 reverse at the hands of the Reds at Old Trafford on September 1.

“It doesn’t impact me,” Ten Hag said when he was asked whether he has been affected by renewed scrutiny over his position, pointing out that one of his critics, former United top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo, is “far away from Manchester”

“I know in the process where we are, what we have to do, where we are going. We are still in a transition process, we have to integrate a lot of young players.”

Man United injuries

“We still have to deal with injuries and bring players back into the team,” added Ten Hag. “Before anyone thinks about excuses – no, we have to win every game.

“I know that. The team knows this. We will focus on every game and have in every game the mindset that we have to win.”

United’s top scorer last season, Rasmus Hojlund, and defender Luke Shaw are “progressing very well” in their returns from injuries but will not feature at Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday (12.30pm BST), Ten Hag added.

Centre-backs Victor Lindelof and Leny Yoro, left-back Tyrell Malacia and midfielder Mason Mount remain out but captain Bruno Fernandes is likely to have recovered from a knock he sustained in Portugal’s Uefa Nations League home win over Scotland on Sunday.

Manchester United vs Southampton

Manuel Ugarte, who completed his move to United for an initial £42 million from Paris St-Germain on September 1, could be given his debut in United’s first match after fellow defensive midfielder Casemiro was substituted at half-time following crucial errors against Liverpool.

“When you see the scores, no-one is happy,” said Ten Hag, who was expected to be sacked after last season’s FA Cup final but signed a new contract during the summer.

“Players have a very good sense of the process, of the quality of the process. When you analyse all the games so far, we are in a good direction.

“But it is normal, in a transition period when you build a team, that you have to improve and step up.

“We have good characters. You feel the team spirit. Now it is about getting the patterns and routines in… so everyone sees the quality we have on the training pitch.”

Latest

A Life of Transformation: John M Hayes Releases ‘A Quest for Meaning’ Memoir

The author John M Hayes has published his latest book A Quest for Meaning: A Memoir from Pit to Pulpit; from Business to Philanthropy. The...

Every word from Pep Guardiola with Man City showdown talks ahead

Pep Guardiola conducted his post-match press conference after Manchester City's Premier League game with BournemouthPep Guardiola said that he will talk with City chairman...

Pep Guardiola and Erling Haaland reaction as Blues held by Bournemouth and Arsenal crowned champions

Pep Guardiola said that he will talk with City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak in the coming days to decide whether he will see out...

Huge police presence as Piccadilly Gardens cordoned off for 'suspected stabbing'

Police rushed to the scene to alleged reports of a 'stabbing'Olivia Beeson UK & World News Reporter 01:01, 20 May 2026As the roads are...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Makerfield by-election LIVE as constituents tell us they doubt Andy Burnham's chances against Reform surge

Andy Burnham said he was not proposing the UK rejoining the European Union as he warned against getting stuck in a “permanent rut” of...

Thousands still dying from asbestos exposure decades after UK ban, research warns

More than 25 years after asbestos was banned in the UK, the material continues to cause around 5,000 deaths annually, according to new findings...

LockerQuest and Northern launch YEEP! parcel lockers across rail network

Passengers travelling on Northern services can now benefit from easy-to-use self-service parcel lockers following a new partnership between rail operator Northern and site commercialisation...

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

More News

bet365 becomes official global partner of UEFA Champions League

bet365, one of the world’s leading online betting companies, has announced a historic sponsorship agreement, becoming the first official sports betting partner of the...

Manchester United: Getafe hope to keep Greenwood

Getafe president Angel Torres is confident Mason Greenwood will return to the Spanish club on loan next season if Manchester United can’t sell him...

Crystal Palace 4-0 Man Utd: Olise stars as Red Devils torn apart at Selhurst Park

Manchester United's terrible season reached a new low on Monday as Erik ten Hag's under-fire team were thrashed 4-0 by Crystal Palace at Selhurst...