CrimeThug who strangled detective is jailed

Thug who strangled detective is jailed

A teenager who robbed a young boy of his coat and bag in Bury, has been jailed for three years.

Muhammad Zakir Arif (18) of Harrington Close, Bury, appeared at Manchester Crown Court on Monday.

He admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm, strangulation or suffocation, two counts of possession of a bladed article in a public place, and two counts of failure to comply with a Section 49 Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act notice.

The three-year sentence also included two counts of robbery, one count of attempted robbery and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, which Arif had been found guilty of during a previous trial which took place in November 2023.

In January 2023, Arif approached a young boy in Cornwall Drive, Bury, and produced a ‘zombie style knife’ before forcing the victim to hand over his bag and jacket. The attack was recorded on video and later circulated on social media.

This followed a similar robbery committed by Arif earlier that same month.

In February 2024, whilst on court bail awaiting sentencing for the robbery offences, Arif was travelling in a taxi in Hulme when the car was stopped, and he was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences. In his possession at the time of his arrest was a machete, a large zombie knife and two mobile phones.

Having refused to provide the passcodes for the two mobile phones, Arif was served with a Section 49 RIPA Court Order, which compels a suspect to provide access to their electronic devices or face prosecution. The application for the order had been granted in the interests of national security but he still refused to provide access.

Whilst in custody, Arif was questioned by detectives several times and, on one occasion, he leapt forward at the interviewer before launching a brutal attack. After punching the detective in the head numerous times, he then proceeded to violently strangle the officer before he could be restrained.

Detective superintendent Andy Meeks, head of investigations for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: “Today’s sentencing is the culmination of months of dedicated work by the investigation team to ensure Muhammad Zakir Arif faced the consequences of his actions.

“Machetes and zombie knives have no place on our streets so we’re pleased that two dangerous weapons have been seized and will be destroyed. However, his offending didn’t stop after his arrest and he would go on to repeatedly flout a legal order, refuse to answer questions, and violently attack somebody as they tried to do their job.

“Thankfully the detective has fully recovered and returned to work, having been closely supported by colleagues across the team.

“We welcome the sentence imposed by the judge today.”

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Bolton PROMOTED to Championship LIVE celebrations and reaction as Stockport heartbroken

Bolton Wanderers have been promoted to the Championship after a 4-1 win over Stockport County.Wanderers took the lead early through Ruben Rodrigues. Adama Sidibeh...

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Pep Guardiola names final Man City XI and makes sweeping changes

Manchester City welcome Aston Villa to the Etihad Stadium for the final day of the Premier League season and Pep Guardiola's final match in...

Makerfield by-election LIVE amidst predictions of 'straight fight between Labour and Reform'

Reform UK would “clamp down” on any abuse of a proposed £5 billion tax break for workers doing extra hours, Robert Jenrick has said....

National Lottery announces major Lotto change set to bring more chances to win

The change will come into effect on June 7Then in the second round, the same thing will happen again. The National Lottery explains: "A...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Makerfield by-election LIVE as Andy Burnham says vote could 'change Labour' and Reform 'ready to take on King of the North'

The first weekend of campaigning is set to get under way in Makerfield, in a by-election that Andy Burnham said could 'change Labour.'Mr Burnham,...

Preston Davey trial LIVE as murder accused teacher breaks down as he speaks about day baby died

Ms Whyte says: ‘Given the findings on Preston’s body, the evidence which John doesn’t dispute is that that must have been by way of...

Relief after Google's description of Holocaust survivor Ike Alterman as 'fictional character' disappears

Jewish leaders are calling on the US tech company to apologise22:48, 23 May 2026Updated 23:43, 23 May 2026"Second, I knew him as the director...

Dunelm sale shoppers race to buy 'gorgeous' storage solution with 'plenty of space' before reducion ends tomorrow

"Gorgeous ottoman, looks great at the end of the bed. Plenty of storage inside"This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...