13.6 C
Manchester
Sunday, May 26, 2024
Other SportsFormula One: Perez expects answers on Red Bull future within a month

Formula One: Perez expects answers on Red Bull future within a month

Sergio Perez expects to have answers regarding his Formula One future within the next month, though Red Bull are in no rush to finalise their lineup for 2025.

Perez – who currently sits second in the drivers’ championship standings behind team-mate Max Verstappen – is out of contract at the end of the 2024 campaign.

He began the year under pressure after enduring a difficult end to the 2023 season, though his three second-placed finishes have led to suggestions Red Bull may opt to retain him for 2025.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Real Madrid v Man City: Repeat of 4-0 triumph ‘almost impossible’, says Guardiola
Manchester City: Rodri expects to face ‘different’ Real Madrid in Champions League
IPL: Punjab Kings v Sunrisers Hyderabad – preview, free bets and offers

Carlos Sainz and Fernando Alonso are among the other drivers out of contract at the end of the season and have both been linked with Red Bull, as has Daniel Ricciardo.

Perez, though, is not panicking about his future and expects to have more certainty soon, telling Sky Sports F1: “I’m very relaxed about it. It’s my 14th season in F1.

“Whatever comes next, I’m really pleased with what I’ve done in the sport so far and I believe it will only be a matter of time.

“The driver market is moving and in the next few weeks, there will be a lot of movement for sure. I expect in a month to really know what I’m doing next year.”

Multiple big-name drivers have been linked with moves since Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton agreed to join Ferrari for next year, but Red Bull team principal Christian Horner is yet to decide who will partner Max Verstappen in 2025.

“The whole driver market seems to be very early this year,” Horner said.

“Everybody seems to be rushing around and we’re only four races into the year. We are not in a huge rush and obviously there’s a significant amount of interest in our cars, as you would expect.

“Checo has the priority and it’s going to be a few more races yet before we start to think about next year.”

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

More News