Other SportsManchester City: Guardiola demands more from Grealish ahead of Luton test

Manchester City: Guardiola demands more from Grealish ahead of Luton test

Pep Guardiola has challenged Jack Grealish to improve his performances if he wants to get back in Manchester City’s starting line-up.

The England international has started just seven Premier League games this term – the last of which came against Sheffield United on December 30 – after being a mainstay of their treble triumph last season.

Read our other sports news stories here:
India v England: Gill and Jurel see hosts home
Beckham, Giggs and Co want outside investment in Salford City
What are the PSR rules?

Guardiola was candid in admitting he wants more from his £100million signing from Aston Villa.

He said: “He is the same player, he has the same manager, and the way we play has not changed.

“It’s just the way he has performed. That’s the difference.

“I said from day one, we need him. He has a special quality for our team. But it depends on him. Hopefully he can do a good last three months.”

City go to Luton tonight in the fifth round of the FA Cup with Guardiola ruling out making wholesale changes just to give players time to find their rhythm ahead of the season run-in.

“I cannot give players three or four games to get their rhythm,” insisted the former Barcelona boss. 

“They have to find the rhythm to play for 20 minutes or 90.

“At a high level, the team don’t wait to be fit. You cannot give someone three or four games to be fit. What about the 10 who don’t play? They deserve not to play?

“You have to see the training sessions and all the small details. The players don’t have to convince me. They have to convince themselves that they deserve to play.”

Another player whose future appears unclear is key midfielder Kevin De Bruyne with reports teams in Saudi Arabia are looking to take him to the Pro League in the summer.

Guardiola hopes the 32-year-old, who has a contract at the Etihad until 2025, will stay but he admits it will come down to the player’s wishes.

He said: “It’s a question for him, I’d love him to stay but I don’t know.

“I heard some links but I don’t know if there’s an offer, I don’t know if Saudi Arabia wants him. I would love him to stay until the end of his career, but everyone is everyone.”

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.
Latest

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...

Viral jacket potato phenomenon SpudBros is on its way to the Trafford Centre

The SpudBros tram van is heading to the Trafford CentreSharing a video walking around the Trafford Centre last month, Jacob said: "We get asked...

Makerfield by-election LIVE as Starmer says he WILL support Burnham campaign – updates

Sir Keir Starmer has said he will be out campaigning to support Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election, despite looming speculation of a leadership...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Casemiro closing in on transfer as Man United star prepares for final game

Casemiro looks to have made a decision on his next move after bidding farewell to Manchester United supporters last weekendThe midfielder posted a heartfelt...

Author Reed Lovac publishes new collection of dark fiction short stories

Established author Reed Lovac has released a new book comprising four short stories centred around an ancient item of clothing, exploring themes drawn from...

Funeral celebrant register introduced amid concerns over industry standards

A newly launched national register of approved funeral celebrants and officiants aims to improve transparency and professionalism within the funeral sector, where concerns over...

Reform UK backs Doncaster Sheffield Airport reopening as Connectus welcomes momentum

Technology and infrastructure powerhouse Connectus has welcomed fresh political backing for the reopening of Doncaster Sheffield Airport after Reform UK Deputy Leader Richard Tice...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...