Other SportsIndia v England: Pope hints at additional seam option

India v England: Pope hints at additional seam option

Ollie Pope has hinted England will select a second seamer in the third Test against India, which gets underway on Thursday.

The tourists have gone with just one non-spin option in the first two games – the series is tied at 1-1 – with Mark Wood playing in Hyderabad and James Anderson in Visakhapatnam.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Guardiola: Haaland under no pressure to match Messi, Ronaldo numbers
Luke Littler hits nine-darter on triumphant PDC ProTour debut
FC Copenhagen v Manchester City: preview and prediction

But a covering of green grass on the pitch in Rajkot means England could be tempted into a change of tactic. Anderson bowled well in the second Test and is likely to retain his place with either Wood or Ollie Robinson coming into the side.

England vice-captain Pope told BBC Sport: “If it [the pitch] stays like that, there’s every chance two seamers will be played.

“I don’t want to give away too many secrets, but at the minute there’s a little bit more grass on it. It looks a pretty good pitch.

“We always like to make a decision here the day before the Test begins because conditions can change, especially with the heat on it all day.”

One of England’s trio of young spinners – Rehan Ahmed, Tom Hartley and Shoaib Bashir – would make way if England change tack.

Hartley’s exploits in the first Test mean he is likely to play, giving the selectors a difficult decision between Ahmed and Bashir.

The decision may have been taken out of their hands if an issue with Ahmed’s visa had lingered but the Leicestershire leggie was present at training on Tuesday and is available for selection.

An England statement said: “There was paperwork discrepancy with Rehan Ahmed’s visa. The local authorities at Rajkot Airport were supportive, enabling Rehan entry on a temporary visa. 

“The correct visa should be processed and issued in the coming days. He will continue to prepare with the rest of the squad ahead of the third Test.”

Jon Fisher
Jon Fisher
Jon has over 20 years' experience in sports journalism having worked at the Press Association, Goal and Stats Perform, covering three World Cups, an Olympics and numerous other major sporting events.
Latest

Harry Maguire's mum absolutely fuming as Man United defender left out of England squad

The defender's brother has slammed the decision22:58, 21 May 2026Updated 23:23, 21 May 2026Harry Maguire's mum has taken to social media to share her...

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

Measles outbreak warning for Spain holidays as cases double in tourist hotspot

Cases of measles in Alcantarilla, Murcia have doubled since an outbreak was declared earlier this month, prompting a warning for families travelling to the...

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

What happens next as Oldham chaos carries on and on and on

The council has been criticised by an MP for its ‘unnecessary and petty-minded politics’Two weeks of meetings have been cancelled amid ongoing mayhem at...

Robert Faulkner’s The Mysteries of Rome and Intrigue delivers a thrilling cross-border adventure

Readers are being taken deep into a dangerous world of deception, suspense and international intrigue with the release of Robert Faulkner’s latest thriller, The...

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...