Other SportsKevin De Bruyne returns to Manchester City training ahead of Club World...

Kevin De Bruyne returns to Manchester City training ahead of Club World Cup

Kevin De Bruyne returned to training with Manchester City on Monday ahead of their FIFA Club World Cup semi-final against Urawa Red Diamonds, having missed four months with a hamstring injury.

Having also been substituted early in City’s UEFA Champions League final win over Inter in June, De Bruyne suffered his latest injury setback during a 3-0 win over Burnley on the opening day of the Premier League season in August.

The Belgian lasted just 23 minutes at Turf Moor before being substituted and subsequently underwent surgery, with boss Pep Guardiola predicting a January return for the 32-year-old.

De Bruyne was a surprise inclusion in City’s squad for their Club World Cup campaign in Saudi Arabia, and he joined his team-mates in training at the King Abdullah Sports City complex on Monday.

Read our other Manchester City news stories here:
Manchester City fined £120,000 after Hooper confrontation
Guardiola hoping to win full complement of trophies with Manchester City
Manchester City v Urawa Reds: preview, expected line-ups, how to watch and prediction

The creative midfielder is unlikely to feature against last season’s AFC Champions League winners on Tuesday, however, and a potential final or third-place play-off on Friday could also come too soon for him.

However, the sight of De Bruyne out on the grass still comes as a major boost for City, who sit fourth in the Premier League table after only winning one of their last six games in the competition.

There was no sign of Erling Haaland or Jeremy Doku at Monday’s training session, though, with both players likely to sit out Tuesday’s match after suffering injuries earlier this month.

Ahead of Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace, Guardiola expressed hope that Haaland would play some part in City’s Club World Cup campaign as they bid to win the trophy for the first time.

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Manchester Agency Eight Engines Shortlisted for GMCC Small Business of the Year Award

Manchester-based video marketing agency Eight Engines has been named a finalist for the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce (GMCC) Small Business of the Year...

Disconnected Systems Are Slowing UK SMEs Down, Says N Six Studios

Digital solutions provider N Six Studios has warned that many UK businesses are operating with inefficient systems and workflows that create unnecessary complexity, poor...

A Life of Transformation: John M Hayes Releases ‘A Quest for Meaning’ Memoir

The author John M Hayes has published his latest book A Quest for Meaning: A Memoir from Pit to Pulpit; from Business to Philanthropy. The...

DWP bank holiday benefit payment changes affecting claimants next week

Affected claimants will need to make their money last longer due to the upcoming bank holiday date Payments due on May 25 will be affected(Image:...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Scotland’s Jane Mann writes first children’s book for grown-ups

Drawing on a life-long love of the mysteries of the natural and folkloric world, Jane Mann has released her first children’s book for group-ups. Readers of Together in...

'We built a railway in our garden – our house is now unsellable or worth triple'

Dave Walker, 54, and his wife Angela, 55, built the 400m track by hand over seven yearsDave said they hoped to attract other rail...

Author Reed Lovac publishes new collection of dark fiction short stories

Established author Reed Lovac has released a new book comprising four short stories centred around an ancient item of clothing, exploring themes drawn from...

Thousands still dying from asbestos exposure decades after UK ban, research warns

More than 25 years after asbestos was banned in the UK, the material continues to cause around 5,000 deaths annually, according to new findings...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...