CrimeCoroner confirms Manchester man was unlawfully killed in Ukraine

Coroner confirms Manchester man was unlawfully killed in Ukraine

A coroner’s ruling in Manchester, has determined Daniel Burke was ‘unlawfully killed’ in Ukraine in September 2023.

Daniel (36) from Wythenshawe left the UK in May 2023 to go to Ukraine to assist those wounded in conflict. He was reported missing in August 2023 by both an individual in Ukraine and his family, who reside in Manchester, after they had not heard from Daniel (pictured) for a few days.

A body was located near a training ground in Zaporizhzhya in Ukraine on September 16, 2023, and later in December 2023, through DNA testing, the body was confirmed to be Daniel Burke, who had suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

Daniel’s family have been supported by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) who were deployed to help guide Daniel’s family through the complexities of the criminal and coronial system and an international repatriation procedure that would follow.

His body was returned to the UK by GMP with assistance from the Foreign Office to allow a forensic post mortem to be conducted in Britain.

Daniel’s death continues to be treated as a homicide investigation by Ukrainian authorities.

The inquest was told that there is a man who has already confessed to Daniel’s death, he was temporarily detained by Ukrainian police, his whereabouts are currently unknown to law enforcement agencies and attempts are ongoing to find him.

Ukrainian authorities have named a suspect, Abdelfetah ‘Adam’ Nourine also known as ‘Jihadi Adam’. He is an Australian Algerian dual national.

Detective chief superintendent Lewis Hughes said: “Our deepest condolences are with Daniel’s family and close friends who have been at the heart of our pursuit for answers as they navigate through the complexities of Daniel’s death.

“Their pain has been worsened by the lack of answers available in difficult and challenging circumstances that have unfolded over the past 17 months.

“We hope that this ruling of unlawful killing goes some way in reassuring Daniel’s family and loved ones that this wasn’t an accident. Daniel was killed, and his family deserve answers.

“Specialist family liaison officers were sent to support Daniel’s family from the outset after he was suspected to have been killed to offer support but also to answer any questions his family may have in relation to what will happen during an investigative process that would soon follow.

“We coordinated efforts with the UKDVI, Foreign Office, The British Embassy, Ukrainian law enforcement agencies and also Daniel’s family to help repatriate his body and bring him home so his family and friends could finally place him to rest.

“The conclusion of this inquest has provided an important step forwards for Daniel’s family, but we are hopeful that the Ukraine authorities continue the investigate this case and bring the person responsible to justice.”

Daniel’s family statement said: “No family should ever have to go through the extreme depths of grief and confusion that we have endured and continue to suffer since Daniel was declared missing last year.

“We kept hope in all attempts to find him alive, but our hopes collapsed when we received a call that Daniel’s body was believed to have been found in Ukraine.

“Since then, our family has never and will never be the same.

“Daniel had the most infectious smile and he loved making others laugh, this is how we will remember him and keep his memory alive. Throughout his life, he has assisted those who needed it the most and defended what he believed in, and for this we are so very proud of the person that he became.

“Following the inquest, we are still yearning for answers.

“As a family we cannot do this alone, we are grateful for the support we have received so far and we are hopeful that the Ukraine authorities will progress the investigation into Daniel’s death and we hope one day we will be able to say that we have justice for Daniel.”

Helen Greaney
Helen Greaney
I'm a journalist with more than 18 years' experience on local, regional and national newspapers, as well as PR and digital marketing. Crime and the courts is my specialist area but I'm also keen to hear your stories concerning Manchester and the greater North West region.
Latest

Zachariah Smith takes centre stage as Winners Host at Hair and Beauty Awards 2026

Presenter and content creator Zachariah Smith was appointed Winners Host for the Hair and Beauty Awards 2026, taking on live interview duties with winners...

Ritherdon’s Latest Fire Safety Innovation Receives High Praise from Industry Leader

A major UK supplier serving the construction and fire protection industries has given a strong endorsement to Ritherdon’s latest passive fire safety innovation, describing...

Q:chi Unveils Harmoni Platform Enhancements to Give Marketers Control Over Budget Pacing

Q:chi, an enterprise marketing performance solution provider, has announced substantial enhancements to its Q:chi ) Harmoni platform, designed to help marketing organisations avoid the...

Warrington apprentice Kasey highlights career opportunities for local school leavers

A Warrington apprentice who progressed to marketing manager in just three and a half years is highlighting the diverse career opportunities available to local...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

JMW achieves profit increase and invests £10m in new flagship Deansgate offices

JMW has announced its financial results for the year 2025/26: the firm achieved a 4% uplift in revenues, with turnover up from £94m in...

Zachariah Smith takes centre stage as Winners Host at Hair and Beauty Awards 2026

Presenter and content creator Zachariah Smith was appointed Winners Host for the Hair and Beauty Awards 2026, taking on live interview duties with winners...

Warrington apprentice Kasey highlights career opportunities for local school leavers

A Warrington apprentice who progressed to marketing manager in just three and a half years is highlighting the diverse career opportunities available to local...

Connectus Business Solutions Celebrates 15-Year Milestone With Next Growth Phase Underway

Connectus Business Solutions is marking 15 years of operation at a time of significant momentum, with the IT and cyber security company having expanded...

More News

How to make sure your business bounces back after a cybersecurity attack

You’ll rarely see a cyber breach coming. In a matter of moments, everything you've built could be put at risk, leaving you to pick up...

Teenager arrested after proactive drug dealing operation in Chorlton

A teenage boy was arrested by South Manchester police following a proactive plain clothes operation to combat drug dealing in the area. Officers headed to...

Fake ‘luxury’ goods worth £3 million found in trading standards raid

More than 5,000 fake luxury goods worth £3.1 million have been uncovered in Bury by trading standards officers. The huge haul was discovered in raids...