Other SportsBorussia Dortmund CEO Watzke confirms Sancho talks ongoing with Manchester United

Borussia Dortmund CEO Watzke confirms Sancho talks ongoing with Manchester United

Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has confirmed the club are engaged in talks with Manchester United regarding a loan move for their former winger Jadon Sancho.

Sancho joined United for a reported fee of £73million (€85m) in July 2021 after enjoying a successful four-year stint with Dortmund, recording 103 goal involvements (49 goals, 54 assists) during his final three seasons in Germany.

However, the 23-year-old struggled to replicate that form during his first two campaigns at Old Trafford before being frozen out of the first-team picture this term following a public spat with boss Erik ten Hag.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Manchester City star De Bruyne happy to be back after taxi stint
Scotland captain Berrington excited to be paired with England at T20 World Cup
Norman labels McIlroy’s new LIV Golf stance a turning point

Sancho has not been involved in a United squad since disagreeing with Ten Hag’s criticism of his training performances in September, claiming he had been made into a “scapegoat” on social media and subsequently being forced to train away from his team-mates.

With Ten Hag unwilling to reintegrate Sancho, the winger has been strongly linked with a loan move back to Signal Iduna Park this month, and Watzke confirmed talks are ongoing regarding his potential return on Monday.

“We are in dialogue with Manchester United,” Watzke told Sky Sports in Germany.

“We want to bring him to us on loan. That’s no secret. But we are not yet ready to announce a result.”

Meanwhile, Watzke has confirmed he will stand down from his position – which he has held since 2005 – when his contract expires next year.

“I will no longer renew my contract,” he said. “I will be stepping down from management next year. My 20th anniversary is next year. I had the feeling it was the right time.

“I wanted to be in charge of my own future. I’m very grateful to BVB to have had that privilege and responsibility.

“I will be released from the responsibility for sporting matters in June at the latest. I want to focus on the transition and strategy.

“I came to the final decision at Christmas, I’d been thinking about it for a long time. I thought about leaving in 2022 but I had to stay during Covid.”

During Watzke’s tenure with the club, Dortmund have won two Bundesliga titles, three DFB-Pokals and reached the UEFA Champions League final in 2013, losing to rivals Bayern Munich at Wembley Stadium.

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

Office maintenance mistakes that can hurt productivity and profits

The physical maintenance of your office space easily becomes an afterthought when the focus is on processes and profit, but you ignore issues at your...

M56 traffic LIVE as motorway to stay closed for hours after person airlifted to hospital – updates

A person was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after a horror collision involving a lorry and multiple cars on the M56 on Monday...

Author Reed Lovac publishes new collection of dark fiction short stories

Established author Reed Lovac has released a new book comprising four short stories centred around an ancient item of clothing, exploring themes drawn from...

Scotland’s Jane Mann writes first children’s book for grown-ups

Drawing on a life-long love of the mysteries of the natural and folkloric world, Jane Mann has released her first children’s book for group-ups. Readers of Together in...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Thousands still dying from asbestos exposure decades after UK ban, research warns

More than 25 years after asbestos was banned in the UK, the material continues to cause around 5,000 deaths annually, according to new findings...

'We built a railway in our garden – our house is now unsellable or worth triple'

Dave Walker, 54, and his wife Angela, 55, built the 400m track by hand over seven yearsDave said they hoped to attract other rail...

Funeral celebrant register introduced amid concerns over industry standards

A newly launched national register of approved funeral celebrants and officiants aims to improve transparency and professionalism within the funeral sector, where concerns over...

Scotland’s Jane Mann writes first children’s book for grown-ups

Drawing on a life-long love of the mysteries of the natural and folkloric world, Jane Mann has released her first children’s book for group-ups. Readers of Together in...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...