Other SportsNadal 'not 100 per cent sure' of Australian Open involvement after injury...

Nadal ‘not 100 per cent sure’ of Australian Open involvement after injury scare in Thompson defeat

Rafael Nadal is not “100 per cent sure” he will make the Australian Open after needing medical treatment during Friday’s gruelling defeat to Jordan Thompson at the Brisbane International.

Nadal breezed through the first two rounds in Brisbane upon his return to the court following a year on the sidelines, beating Dominic Thiem and Jason Kubler in straight sets to reach the quarter-finals.

It looked as though another routine success might follow in the last eight when he took Friday’s opening set 7-5, only for Thompson to rally for a 5-7 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 win in a three-hour, 25-minute epic.

Nadal failed to convert three match points in the second set, with home favourite Thompson clinging on before edging a tie-break, and the 29-year-old didn’t look back after breaking in the fourth game of the decider.

Read our other sports news stories here:
Rooney could still manage Manchester United despite Birmingham axe, claims Berbatov
Manchester City boss Guardiola cautious over returning trio
Oscar Pistorius released from prison on parole

More concerningly for Nadal, he required medical attention at 4-1 down in the final set, though he was able to carry on without appearing to be in obvious discomfort.

The 22-time grand slam champion had surgery on the psoas tendon in his left hip last June, having failed to recover from an injury he suffered five months earlier at the 2023 Australian Open.

Ahead of a tilt at the next edition of the Melbourne Park event this month, Nadal revealed his latest problem was in the same area, though he is hopeful it is not serious.

“I feel the muscle is tired,” he told reporters after the loss. “For sure it’s not the same as last year at all, because when that happened I felt something drastic immediately.

“Today I didn’t feel anything. The only problem is because the place is the same, you are a little bit more scared than usual.

“I need to see how I wake up tomorrow morning. We have been talking these last days, talking about the positive things. That’s why I am not overly positive when I have been talking.

“I have been talking with a lot of precaution because I know after a year it’s difficult for the body to be playing tournaments at the highest level.

“When things are becoming more difficult, you don’t know how your body is going to react.

“I hope it is not important and I hope to have the chance to practice next week and to play Melbourne. Honestly, I am not 100 per cent sure of anything now.”

Thompson will now face second seed Grigor Dimitrov in the semi-finals on Saturday, while Holger Rune takes on Roman Safiullin in the other last-four matchup.

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest

White House 'on lockdown' as gunshots rings out and people rushed inside

It is currently unclear where the gunshots have originated from and what the security incident is in relation toPeter Hennessy UK & World News...

Manchester United confirm Michael Carrick's backroom staff as full list announced

Man Utd have announced the make-up of Michael Carrick's coaching staff after his appointment as head coachMichael Carrick's backroom staff of Steve Holland, Jonathan...

Man United transfer news LIVE: Yan Diomande decision, Ederson update, Sandro Tonali latest

Manchester United academy star Malachi Sharpe has confirmed his departure from the club.In a post to Instagram, he said: "After 5 years my time...

Man United 'reach agreement' as transfer nears and £86m decision made

Manchester United are being linked with a move for a host of potential new signings as the summer transfer window fast approaches13:35, 23 May...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Doctor Who's Mandip Gill announces engagement after boyfriend's unique proposal

The actress appeared in every single episode of the Jodie Whittaker era of the BBC science fiction seriesSharing a picture of the jelly wrapped...

5 Modern Use Cases for Architectural Woven Wire

Woven wire has been a staple of industrial manufacturing for decades. But architects and interior designers have increasingly turned to it as a serious...

'We built a railway in our garden – our house is now unsellable or worth triple'

Dave Walker, 54, and his wife Angela, 55, built the 400m track by hand over seven yearsDave said they hoped to attract other rail...

Body found in search for missing 14-year-old schoolboy from Stoke-on-Trent

A body has been found in the search for missing 14-year-old Tyler from Stoke-on-Trent, who was last seen on SundayRob Andrews and Olivia Beeson...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...