Other SportsPhillips set to start for Manchester City at Newcastle

Phillips set to start for Manchester City at Newcastle

Kalvin Phillips will start Manchester City’s EFL Cup clash at Newcastle on Wednesday night after earning praise from Pep Guardiola for his starring role in the weekend win over Nottingham Forest.

Phillips has struggled to make an impact at the Etihad following his 2022 summer arrival from Leeds but came on to great effect against Forest, helping City preserve their 2-0 advantage after the 46th-minute dismissal of Rodri.

The England international will remain in the line-up for the trip to Tyneside and get the chance to stake his claim for more regular inclusion with Rodri set to miss the next three domestic games.

Asked about Phillips, Guardiola said: “Not just this week but many, many times since he arrived, he’s been really important. 

“His consistency…he does everything in the game. What happened against Nottingham, it was more defensive, resilient and he helped us breathe. 

“The game tomorrow is important and every single game I’ll decide what’s best for the team.”

Guardiola also hinted at starts for Jack Grealish and Mateo Kovacic at St James’ Park as he rotates his squad. The EFL Cup has been fertile ground for City in recent times – they have won the trophy six times in the last 10 years – but the Catalan admitted it is the least of his priorities as they attempt to match last season’s treble.

He added: “I don’t think about [the fixture list] much, it’s just what’s next which is Newcastle. 

“Now is an exceptional situation, a lot of players are injured and a lot have played a lot of minutes and they have to rest. 

“Tomorrow is important but Wolves, Arsenal and RB Leipzig are much more important. I have to take into consideration the effort in this period and the injuries or we’re going to be in trouble.”

News Desk
News Deskhttps://www.businessmanchester.co.uk/
The Business Manchester News Desk team is a collective of experienced journalists and editors dedicated to delivering comprehensive business news and insights from the Manchester area and beyond. With a strong background in finance, technology, property, and innovation, our team ensures that our readers stay well-informed about the latest trends and developments in the business world. Through in-depth reports and insightful analysis, the Business Manchester News Desk team is committed to providing high-quality journalism to its audience.
Latest

UK's best value theme park letting kids go free this May half term

Kids can enjoy free entry for the rest of the monthVictoria Lynn, managing director of Drayton Manor, said: “As the UK’s best value theme...

Viral jacket potato phenomenon SpudBros is on its way to the Trafford Centre

The SpudBros tram van is heading to the Trafford CentreSharing a video walking around the Trafford Centre last month, Jacob said: "We get asked...

Makerfield by-election LIVE as Starmer says he WILL support Burnham campaign – updates

Sir Keir Starmer has said he will be out campaigning to support Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election, despite looming speculation of a leadership...

Casemiro closing in on transfer as Man United star prepares for final game

Casemiro looks to have made a decision on his next move after bidding farewell to Manchester United supporters last weekendThe midfielder posted a heartfelt...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

Manchester Agency Eight Engines Shortlisted for GMCC Small Business of the Year Award

Manchester-based video marketing agency Eight Engines has been named a finalist for the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce (GMCC) Small Business of the Year...

Property Investment Manchester: Why the City Continues to Attract Investors

Manchester’s property market has spent years building a reputation as one of the UK’s strongest regional investment locations. In 2026, that reputation continues to...

Thousands still dying from asbestos exposure decades after UK ban, research warns

More than 25 years after asbestos was banned in the UK, the material continues to cause around 5,000 deaths annually, according to new findings...

Makerfield by-election LIVE as Starmer says he WILL support Burnham campaign – updates

Sir Keir Starmer has said he will be out campaigning to support Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election, despite looming speculation of a leadership...

More News

F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025: Report, result, highlights as Norris savours ‘stressful’ win

Lando Norris praised McLaren's "amazing car" after overcoming unpredictable conditions to beat reigning champion Max Verstappen and win the F1 Australian Grand Prix 2025...

India vs Australia: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

India vs Australia: The State of Play India will be targeting a third consecutive appearance in the final when they face Australia in the first...

New Zealand vs India: Preview, expected lineups, how to watch on TV and prediction for ICC Champions Trophy 2025

New Zealand vs India: The State of Play Two teams in excellent form meet on Sunday when New Zealand and India collide in their final...