Beyond mortgage payments, utility expenses, particularly electricity bills, constitute a significant portion of the monthly budget for many American households. Recent data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration reveals that the average residential electric bill in the United States amounts to $143.
However, there are practical and smart measures you can adopt, suggested by heating and cooling experts at Mitsubishi Electric, to effectively lower your family’s energy expenditures. Consider these strategies to curtail your energy bills.
- Regular HVAC Maintenance: Keeping your heating and cooling system in optimal condition is crucial for efficient performance. While some tasks can be managed by homeowners, such as cleaning outdoor units and replacing air filters, engaging a licensed contractor for annual maintenance and to assess ductwork and electrical components is essential.
- Off-Peak Appliance Use: Shift the usage of appliances like stoves, ovens, and clothes dryers to non-peak hours. Typically, electricity providers experience peak demand between noon and 6 p.m. Using these appliances outside of this timeframe, when conventional heating and cooling systems are heavily utilized, can lead to energy savings.
- Upgrade Your System: The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) encourages homeowners to transition to energy-efficient heating and cooling solutions, such as qualified heat pumps. Mitsubishi Electric heat pumps, for instance, offer enhanced energy-efficient cooling and heating, resulting in cost savings and reduced environmental impact.
- Harness Solar Energy: Solar panels have the potential to power the world’s energy usage for an entire year based on just 90 minutes of sunlight, as stated by the Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy. Investing in solar panels can significantly reduce energy bills and enhance your home’s sustainability. Moreover, incentives provided by utility companies and government entities, including the IRA, can aid in reducing installation costs.
- Temperature Control in Unused Spaces: Adjusting your temperature settings before leaving the house is essential to prevent unnecessary energy consumption. Multi-zone, all-electric heat pumps, like those by Mitsubishi Electric, enable homeowners to set individual room temperatures, reducing energy waste in unoccupied areas. A smartphone app further allows remote temperature adjustments.
Discover more ways to enhance energy efficiency and promote sustainability in your home by visiting MitsubishiComfort.com.