13.6 C
Manchester
Sunday, May 26, 2024
Other SportsFormula One: Fernando Alonso extends Aston Martin deal through 2026

Formula One: Fernando Alonso extends Aston Martin deal through 2026

Fernando Alonso has put an end to speculation over his Formula One future by signing a new contract with Aston Martin, committing to the team until the end of the 2026 season.

Alonso, who joined Aston Martin ahead of the 2023 season after one year with Alpine, was out of contract at the end of this campaign.

The two-time world champion had been linked with seats at Mercedes and Red Bull, with Lewis Hamilton preparing to join Ferrari and Sergio Perez yet to renew his deal with the current constructors’ champions.

Read our other sports news stories here:
The Masters 2024: Bad weather delays start at Augusta
Keane doubles down on Haaland ‘League Two player’ jibe
IPL: Lucknow Super Giants v Delhi Capitals – preview, free bets and offers

Last month, the Spaniard hinted he could step away from the sport altogether, saying he needed to analyse his 2024 performances before committing his future to any team.

However, he has now penned a new deal to remain with Aston Martin for two more years after this one, meaning he will stay in F1 until at least the age of 45.

In a statement released to the team’s website, Alonso said: “There has been much said and written about my future in Formula One in the past few months, but today I’m delighted to announce that I’m here to stay with Aston Martin in a multi-year agreement.

“I said at the start of the year that I would decide if I wanted to continue racing first and then sit down with the team.

“From the moment I joined the team in 2023 I felt extremely at home. In just over 15 months we have already achieved so much together, with some memorable podiums and battles.

“I am very grateful for the trust [chairman] Lawrence [Stroll] and [team principal] Mike [Krack] have put in me, and with Lance [Stroll] I am excited to see what else we can achieve together.

“This is only the beginning for this project and I am proud to be part of it. I am at my physical best and still hungry. I will give my all as we continue our journey to becoming a championship-winning team.”

Alonso finished fourth in the drivers’ championship standings last season, posting six podium finishes in the first eight races before he tailed off as Aston Martin’s bright start fizzled out.

He is eighth in the standings after four races of 2024, with a fifth-place finish at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix his best result of the new campaign.

Team principal Krack is delighted that Alonso will stay with the team as they bridge the gap to 2026, when they will ditch Mercedes’ power units to take Honda engines.

“Fernando is hungry for success, driving better than ever, is fitter than ever, and is completely dedicated to making Aston Martin a competitive force,” Krack said.

“This multi-year agreement with Fernando takes us into 2026 when we begin our works power unit partnership with Honda. We look forward to creating more incredible memories and achieving further success together.”

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.
Latest
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business Manchester will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.
Don't miss

More News