Sir Keir Starmer plans to remain as Prime Minister, despite calls to quit
The Prime Minister has defended his government’s plan, as he battles to remain in his position. Sir Keir Starmer said efforts to cut costs, reduce net migration and boost growth showed ‘our plan is working’.
Sir Keir – who has insisted he will not walk away from number 10 if Andy Burnham wins the Makerfield by-election, triggering a leadership contest – has sought to highlight his own record.
The Prime Minister said: “We now have the fastest-growing economy in the G7, net migration has fallen and NHS waiting lists are at their lowest level in three-and-a-half years.
Click here to get the biggest stories straight to your inbox in our Daily Newsletter
“Our plan is working. And as summer begins, we are going further to bring down the cost of living and make life easier for families, so they have more room to enjoy it. This Government will keep pushing forward to deliver the change the country voted for.”
Office for National Statistics figures showed the economy grew by a higher-than-expected 0.6% over the first quarter, between January and March. Figures this week showed UK net migration dropped to an estimated 171,000 last year, the lowest level since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.
The most recent NHS England data shows the waiting list stood at 7.11 million treatments in March, a fall of 110,073 treatments from February.
It comes as Sir Keir’s position as Labour leader hangs in the balance, with Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham seeking a return to Parliament in the Makerfield by-election, and former health secretary Wes Streeting outlining an alternative policy platform.
Scores of Labour MPs have called for the Prime Minister to stand down in the wake of an electoral hammering earlier this month across English councils, Wales and Scotland.
Burnham launched his Makerfield campaign on Friday, saying “a vote for me in this by-election is a vote to change Labour”.
Mr Streeting has set out policies including a wealth tax to bring back the New Labour-era Sure Start programme and planning reforms to fund council homes to prevent children growing up in temporary accommodation.
Despite Sir Keir’s claims of success, both Mr Burnham and Mr Streeting have criticised the Government’s inability to deliver the change voters demanded in the 2024 landslide which swept Labour into power.
Mr Streeting promised to revive Sure Start, with the £1 billion funding currently allocated to the Government’s Best Start initiative increased by a further £1.7 billion under his plan.
He said: “The biggest thing that I think is broken in this country at the moment is that, for the first time in modern history, the prospects for the next generation are worse than the last. Restoring Sure Start would prove that this Labour Government is absolutely committed to building a better future for the next generation.”
His proposal to end temporary accommodation for children would see planning reforms to allow councils to benefit from the uplift in land value from development in order to fund homes and services.
Councils that fail to deliver could be stripped of decision-making powers.
“I took on failing NHS trusts. I will take on failing councils. Every child deserves a home to call their own and a fair chance to make the most of it,” Mr Streeting said.